Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Day at The Zoo

When we went to the Little Rock Zoo my Mom came up with an idea that turned out to be not as brilliant as we had originally thought. "Let's rent a wagon for Violet to ride in!" my Mom says enthusiastically. My brain didn't think to calculate how much those wagons weigh just by themselves and how much more they weigh when you add a 35 pound preschooler in one. And let's not forget our purses! My purse is of regular size and weight but my Mom's purse, now that's a different story. Her purse is considered carry-on luggage by most airlines! I kid. Kind of. Her purse really is heavy. (Sorry Mom.)

So, we rent a wagon and load up Violet and everything else in it and set off to enjoy the afternoon. Only, and here's where my memory failed me yet again, Little Rock is hilly! Lugging the wagon around that zoo was not my idea of fun after I had hauled it up and down some big hills. Note to self, DO NOT RENT WAGONS AT ZOOS!!!

Well, at least Violet enjoyed the wagon. It's a good thing too since that will be her one and only wagon ride at the zoo. See how much she enjoyed it...



The day we went to the zoo we couldn't have asked for better weather. My Mom said it was still too hot for her liking but it was marvelous for me and Violet. Houston's weather has been hitting the high 90's for a while now and to be in the low 80's was absolutely fabulous to me. The sky was overcast just enough to block the bright rays of the sun so it wasn't directly hitting us. Heaven. Even the animals were out enjoying the cooler summer weather.

We saw an elephant playing with a giant ball...



There were giraffes roaming around their habitat...




A Momma gorilla with her baby eating grass...



While the Daddy gorilla ruled the roost from down below...



We saw some adorable sea otters playing in the water...



I wonder if I could get one of those and bring it home to live in our giant bathtub? I have the feeling that Gregg wouldn't be too happy with me if I even mentioned that. But aren't they the cutest little guys?



As our day drew to an end I was completely exhausted, but in the good kind of way. I had a wonderful time watching my daughter soak up all the different sights and animals all while spending time with her Mommy and Mimi. After we got home I immediately gave Violet her bath and then it was Mommy's turn. I retreated to my parent's bathroom and had a nice long, hot soak in their jacuzzi tub and it was wonderful. That night we all slept like babies, probably Violet's best night of sleep during the whole week.

There has already been talk about next summer's trip. We would like to go to the zoo in Memphis, Tennessee. The zoo there is supposed to be absolutely phenomenal. They even have Panda Bears! I have wanted to see a real panda for as long as I can remember. Violet has the same enthusiasm for panda bears as I do. I gave her a giant stuffed panda bear almost two years ago. It was given to me ages ago and I saved it knowing that it would be a wonderful gift for my future child someday. I was right, Violet loves it. I can only imagine Violet's wonder and awe when she and I get to see a real panda for the first time. I cannot wait for that day.

No comments: