Monday, July 28, 2008

I'm in love! With Freecycle.org! I have managed to snag several great items through the freecycle program here in the Katy area. Today I got a box full of children's books for Violet. And by "box full" I'm talking about 30 books in great condition! There was also a smaller box of craft items that we'll put to good use as I come up with projects for Violet and I to do.

Freecyle is the brain child of Deron Beal. In 2003 Deron stated the Freecycle Network in Tucson, Arizona. Deron worked for a non-profit organization that provided recycling services for other nonprofit organizations and figured there had to be a better way of organizing this. The first Freecycle Network was organized with a handful of people and programs and has since...
... spread to over 75 countries, where there are thousands of local groups representing millions of of members -- people helping people and "changing the world one gift at a time." As a result, we are currently keeping over 300 tons a day out of landfills! This amounts to four times the height of Mt. Everest in the past year alone, when stacked in garbage trucks!

Through Freecycling I've gotten Violet a sweatshirt hooded jacket, some children's computer software programs, and the books and craft items I mentioned earlier just to name a few. A few of the items I've freecycled are diaper and formula coupons. I've even freecycled a package of pull ups! There has been furniture, computers, clothing, and so much more freecycled. I haven't snagged a big item but I feel like I've been pretty lucky thus far. Right now I'm hoping to get a toy chest that someone has posted.

Please check out the Freecycle Network site and see if you have one in your area. It's a great way to clean out your closets and not feel guilty about it. You'll be keeping items out of the landfills and helping someone in the process. Besides, who knows what you'll be able to snag.


Update: I didn't get the toy chest I was hoping to snag. Oh well, maybe another time.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Freecycle is great. Sounds like you scored some good stuff. I will e-mail you the Sweet Asian Chicken recipe if you give me your e-mail address. Mine is newgreenmama at gmail dot com.

Kimberly said...

Hi Jen! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I sent you an email so be looking for one from me.