Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Girl Met A Boy

It all started in the summer of 1990. Twenty years ago I met the most amazing young man that I have ever met in my life. And here's our story (some of it at least!)...

I was new to the town that I was living in and knew absolutely no one. A pretty lonely existence for a girl that's a social butterfly. I finally got involved with a church's college program, knowing that I would meet some good people and possibly make some new friends. While involved in this group, the youth pastor asked me if I'd be interested in going to the youth camp for a week and help out. I knew other college students would be there and so I jumped at the chance to go.

I was housed with three other young girls, girls that were still in high school. Girls that loved to laugh and stay up late. Very sweet girls! (I was lucky with the housing department that year!) Well, one day, while walking up to my room I found one of my girls sitting outside talking with a handsome fellow. I stopped and said hello and this is were I found out the name of the "future love of my life". His name was Gregg.

Gregg and I got to talk a lot over the course of that week. We talked about what classes we were taking, God, family, friends, and so forth. We laughed a lot over the stupidest things. He didn't even get upset after I smoked him in a swimming challenge. (I had conviently left out the little fact that I was a lifeguard when the challenge was made.) We were around each other a lot during that week and I was so happy to have made a new friend. Gregg was a bright, shining light of hope that I would soon develop even more friends.

I found out a few weeks later that Gregg's feelings for me were more of the romantic kind. I was totally clueless. Which if you haven't figured this out yet, I pretty much live in a state of cluelessness. Yeah, I'm the girl who has a dumbfounded look on her face after hearing a dirty joke because I simply didn't get it. And, I didn't get it the second time I was told the joke either (something that seemed to bring great delight to the joke teller!). Not that Gregg was telling me dirty jokes, because he wasn't! That is just a testament of how clueless I can be sometimes.

Where was I? Oh! I was clueless of Gregg's romantic feelings towards me. So, I called Gregg one night and asked him to get a group of friends together and we could all go to the movies. Gregg called me shortly afterwards and said that everyone had plans but that that shouldn't keep us from going out. And so, I said sure!

So, we went to the movies that night. We saw Die Hard 2. We enjoyed the movie and somewhere during this innocent night out the air began to change. Things felt different than just two friends going out and enjoying one another's company. This was starting to feel more and more like a date. How did that happen?!!! Even though the tide had changed, things felt right.

I won't bore you with the details. I'll just tell you that we ended up dating after that night, for nearly five years! And we've been married now for 15 (FIFTEEN) years! Yes folks, fifteen years ago I married the man of my dreams and became the luckiest girl in the world on this day! Time has flown by and it doesn't seem like we've been married for fifteen years. Besides, I'm not old enough to have been married for fifteen years!!! Ha!

Happy Anniversary Baby!!! I am the luckiest girl in the world to be able to call you my husband. Thank you for being such a wonderful husband (and father to our beautiful little girl). You are my prince charming and I love you more than ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awe I like hearing about other people's stories.