Thursday, August 18, 2011

Bedtime Battles & Conversations

We had a huge battle of the wills a few nights ago. After a weekend full of activities and late nights, and not much one-on-one time with her Daddy, Violet went into a full fledged melt-down. Trust me when I say that it was not a pretty sight. We gave Violet her typical warnings of what she should expect if she continued to misbehave. Finally, her Dad said, "Okay, that was the last warning." Violet's response was to cry even harder and to push things even further.

I was trying to get ready for bed when Violet busted in the bathroom and started yelling at me at the top of her lungs. "I DON'T WANT TO GO TO BED!!!!" I guess she didn't think I understand the depth of just how much she wanted to stay up for the night. I turned to Violet, with my mouth filled with my toothbrush and toothpaste, and told her that in no uncertain terms did she want me to get involved in this little drama of hers. Apparently though, she didn't believe me.

Here's a part of our family's conversation that night...

Violet ~ I DON'T WANT TO GO TO BED!!!(at the top of her lungs)
Gregg ~ Sorry but it's way passed your bedtime and we've all got to go to bed.
Violet ~ But I'm not even tired. (again, at the top of her lungs)
Gregg ~ If you just lie down you'll realize that you really are tired. Now, this is your last warning. If you don't stop yelling, and don't get in bed, you will lose your TV for the day. (This is when Violet bursts into the bathroom and proceeds to yell at me.)
Me ~ Violet, you've heard your Daddy and you have to do what he's told you to do. You don't want me to get involved in this because the punishments get bigger.
Violet ~ What will you do? (you can easily see the wheels turning in her brain.)
Me ~ You'll not only lose your TV, but you'll also lose your video games. And it won't just be for a day either. This is the only warning I'm going to give you. Now go do what your Daddy told you and be nice about it too.(Violet stomps out of the room and starts back on her Daddy. And that was the straw that broke this camel's back.)
Me ~ Violet, you just lost your TV and video game for a day.
Violet ~ No! I didn't mean to! Just give me one more chance!!!(She turns to her Daddy and starts begging him.)
Gregg ~ You might get it back if you do what we're telling you to right now.
Violet ~ But Mommy MEANS what she says!!! I've lost my TV and games and she won't give them back!!!


Yes folks, our daughter has her Daddy wrapped around her little finger.

No comments: