Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A Growing Vocabulary

Since Thanksgiving, our precious little girl's vocabulary has blossomed. Violet has been using short sentences for a while now, earlier than her pediatrician anticipated, really. Her doctor was amazed by Violet's vocabulary and how well she was structuring her sentences. Gregg and I just thought Violet was in the normal range for a two year old until her doctor told us otherwise. We were surprised to find out that her language skills were advanced for her age.

Well, like I said earlier, her sentence structuring has improved a great deal since Thanksgiving. It's as if, overnight, Violet learned how to piece together longer sentences! And, I might add, that she has come up with some things that have amazed us... especially recently.

The other day, Violet came up to me and said, "Give me a big hug." Then, after our hug, she said, "Mmm, that's a good hug!" I cannot begin to describe how these two simple sentences warmed my heart. This made me as happy as when Violet told me, "I love you!", for the first time.

Violet has been saying so many new things lately that it's been difficult to keep up with her. From the moment Gregg and I found out we were pregnant, I kept a journal. I have continued to keep a journal for Violet, writing down every new thing that she did. When Violet started talking, I kept a record of every new word and sentence. I wanted to be able to tell her when she did certain things. Well, now I've found out that it's impossible to keep such a detailed record of Violet's life. In a way, all these new developments sadden me because they mean she's growing up.

Violet's not a little baby anymore and the time is passing by too quickly for my liking. I am just so thankful that I have the opportunity to stay home with her. I think that if I wasn't able to be a stay-at-home mom the time would pass by even faster. For this reason, I must say a BIG Thank You to my wonderful husband for providing for his little family in such a way that I'm able to live out my dream of being a stay-at-home... I love you.

No comments: