Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Oi' My Back!


[photo courtesy of Health Journal]

Oi' my back is really giving me fits! A few weeks ago I twisted my back while trying to wrangle my precious daughter. I was holding Violet when she nearly did a nose dive. I might as well have been holding a greased pig at that moment. I over compensated, in my attempts to prevent her from falling, and really did a number on my lower back. Not to worry though, I managed to keep Violet safe despite her best efforts to do a flip in the air.

Ever since that fateful day my back has been in knots. I tempt muscle spasms any time I turn at the waist. That doesn't seem like it would be difficult to avoid but it really is. Think of how often you turn in the car to check your blind spots while driving. Yes, that tiny movement has caused me pain. Then there are the times when you stretch to reach something, are loading clothes in the dryer, etc. etc. You'd be surprised at how often you turn at the waist.

I've been doing stretches lately in an attempt to work out the kinks and they seem to help some. Also, the ice pack has been getting used quite frequently. Last week I had an appointment with my doctor for a follow-up exam and mentioned my back issues. He immediately arranged physical therapy for me and, let me just say, it is marvelous. Although, as much as I love the p.t., it doesn't seem to be working all that well for me.

I finally broke down and went to see a chiropractor today. At this point I would stand on one foot and jump up and down while singing "Yankee Doodle Dandy" if I thought it would make the pain go away! My chiropractor did a p.t. treatment along with stretches and a type of massage and it was very relaxing. I go in for another set of treatments tomorrow and I'm hoping for the best. Before my appointment though I think Violet and I will go to the pool. I'll kill two birds with one stone, so-to-speak. The water will be good for my back and Violet will be entertained.

I would like to ask you kind people to say a prayer for me and my family. 2008 has been a particularly rough year for us. Our little family needs a break from health related issues. We're tired of living like this and just want some normalcy in our lives.

No comments: