Thursday, January 7, 2010

Words

It is no secret that the people who teach our children have a lasting affect on them. Some teachers, the really good ones, inspire greatness from their students while the bad ones can squash a child's educational desires. I've had both types of teachers in my life. While most of my teachers were very good at what they did there was one whose words had a lasting impression on me. It took me years to move beyond her criticism and harsh words to actually believe in myself; to believe that I was more than capable of getting through school and earn a college diploma. My teachers who believed in me helped to counter-balance the harsh effects of that one bad teacher. But more than anything, it was my parents support and never failing love that encouraged me the most. Their refusal of the words "I can't" are, in part, what spurred me forward in my goal to achieve a college education.

As a parent, I have often relied on the following scripture whenever I get frustrated with Violet. It has a whole new meaning to me now that we home school...

"Let my teaching fall like rain, and my words descend like dew, like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants."
Deuteronomy 32:2

Whether you home school or not, Deuteronomy 32:2 is a verse that every parent can relate to at some point or another. A parent's words (and how they're spoken) have the greatest impact on a child, more so than anyone else in their lives. And I often use this verse to remind myself of that fact. I want my words to inspire Violet and cause her to believe in herself, not the other way around.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's Jenny. My mother was my worst critic. She has never encouraged me and continues to cut me down every chance she gets. It's debilitating until I get it out of my mind. My dad too. It's a miracle that my brother and I are even alive considering all the stuff...

Kimberly said...

That's the perfect scripture for this post Kimberly. What a better world we would live in if every parent shared your views on this subject.