Saturday, May 5, 2012

Stepping Through Time


 My homeschool co-op had the privilege to tour the George Ranch Historical Park today. We had a most wonderful day filled with demonstrations and home tours. If you ever find yourself in Richmond, Texas, I urge you to go check out this treasure of history.


We stepped back through time to the 1830's, the 1860's, the 1890's and the 1930's. So much history happened during those time periods and it was a real eye opener to see how families lived back then. The first home we visited was the 1930's George Ranch home. This home was my favorite for many reasons. There were so many details in the George Ranch home that had me mesmerized.


This beautiful chandelier greets you upon entering the home...



The detail on this hallway entrance truly mesmerized me. Look at the detail, that was all carved by hand.



Apparently A.P. George really enjoyed his Tabasco hot sauce. It seems that he used the sauce on everything from meats, soups, fruits and vegetables. I think he had figured out the heat from the sauce helped keep his sinuses clear! This is what an 82 year old bottle of Tabasco looks like...



I have a deep appreciation of old fans. What I wouldn't give to have one just like this...




The 1870's Davis Victorian Mansion was beautiful. While the home was very pretty, I actually preferred the George Ranch House the most. This one seemed a little too stuffy for my tastes. This home is Victorian in style and the Davis family adhered to the Victorian lifestyle. Corssetts, suits and dresses required as dinner attire, and so forth. Like I said, it was too stuffy for me, yet I can appreciate the details of this home.


                           
This is a formal table setting with fine bone china and crystal goblets. They took their table etiquette very seriously. If a child broke one of the table rules, they would be dismissed from the table and not allowed to eat with their family for a month. 
                       

This is my favorite room in the Davis Victorian Mansion. This was a grandmother's room. The furniture in this room was beautiful. I loved the details on everything and the color of the wood. 




The Ranch is still a working ranch and farm. While we were there we got to see cattle...




We saw some horses and got to talk with a horse wrangler...




And we even saw an alligator searching for his next meal...




And finally, one of my absolute favorite things about the ranch - the trees! They are as old as the homes on the ranch and they are beautiful. 




I can only imagine the stories these trees could share if they were able to. 


If you ever have a chance to visit Richmond, Texas, you should take the time to spend a day at this historical treasure. It is well worth the trip and you won't leave disappointed!

1 comment:

Jen said...

I love historic homes like that. It is so interesting. Awesome photos of the day.