Friday, August 3, 2007

Feelin Lousy...

I started to feel lousy after Violet and I returned home from our trip. I thought I had come down with a cold, not unusual when you fly. It turned out to be much more than a cold. I have pneumonia.

Tuesday night (early Wednesday morning) I woke up feeling like I had an elephant sitting on my chest. Not exactly something you want to wake up feeling! My head was spinning and everything was dizzy because I was so out of breath. I woke up my wonderful husband and told him what was going on. After some discussion, I talked Gregg out of taking me to the hospital and to just wait until morning to call the doctor. I already suspected pneumonia since I'd had it before but hoped that I was wrong.

We played a waiting game on Wednesday, one that seemed would last forever. We called the doctor's office and were told there were no available appointments until next week. Gregg was smart and told the receptionist what my symptoms were (this piece of information comes in handy later). After hearing the lack of available appointments at our family doctor's office, Gregg and I decided that I should go to the local emergency care center (not the ER, a clinic). Gregg took me there and dropped me off, since we didn't want Violet around more sick people, and then they both returned home.

In the meantime, our doctor was given information about how sick I was (remember the piece of information that I mentioned would come in handy?) and had the nurse call me to tell me they were "fitting me in". With my appointment made, Gregg and Violet came and picked me up. I had a little while before we had to head to the doctor's office and so I took a nice hot shower in hopes that it would make me feel better. It did but only for a little while.

I arrived at my doctor's office early and waited to be seen. And waited, and waited. I sat in the lobby for nearly two hours before I was taken into a room. Thankfully, I took a book with me that I had just checked out of the library. I didn't have to wait long, once in the room, before I was seen by my doctor. She told me that she thought I had pneumonia, not what I wanted to hear. I had a chest x-ray and it confirmed her suspicions. Three prescriptions were written, a $100 at the pharmacy was spent on said prescriptions, and I was on my way home.

Gregg had to stay home with Violet that day. The daycare didn't have any open slots for her and I needed to be driven to the doctor's since I was so light-headed. I called the daycare later that day and asked about openings for Violet for the next two days and thankfully there was an open slot. We've even made appointments for her for the first two days of next week. Hopefully, we won't have to use them.

Violet was in a new class with new caregivers yesterday and today. She had a wonderful time yesterday but today there were a few moments that were a little hard on her. I couldn't help but call the day care a few times yesterday and today to check on our little girl. I missed her more than I can properly describe here. I missed all the chatter and activity that goes with Violet and couldn't wait for her and her Daddy to come home. The silence and stillness in the house has been maddening for me. I'm supposed to rest and recoup but it's been hard for me because the house doesn't feel right without Violet in it.

The weekend starts tomorrow. I'll enjoy having Violet in the house again. I'll enjoy being with my family. Still, I have to rest and follow the doctor's orders. Thankfully, Gregg is a great father and will be with Violet and help out in every way he possibly can. I just want to feel better and be able to take care of our little girl, my husband, and our house. When things like this hit you it makes you realize how fortunate you really are. I am fortunate that the pneumonia was caught in its earliest stages and therefore should be treated easier. I am fortunate that I have an amazing husband who is there for me and his child... he doesn't just provide for us physically but he provides financially, emotionally and by helping in any way he can. I am fortunate to have a family that I love and enjoy more than anything else. I am fortunate that I am able to realize how fortunate I am, it's harder to take things for granted when you realize how good things are and just how bad they could be.

LORD, thank you for helping us to catch the pneumonia in it's earliest stages. Your mercy is incredible. Thank you for insurance! We would not have been able to afford the prescriptions without it. Thank you for providing care for Violet the past few days when I couldn't do what I love doing, being a mom. Thank you for your love and the love that you shower on me and my family. Thank you for allowing me to see how fortunate and blessed I am, as a woman, as a wife and as a mother. You are too good to me. Thank you for the gifts that are my family. Your love is like a gentle rain on these dry and weary bones. I love you.

No comments: