Thursday, October 11, 2007

Healthy Plastics? There is such a thing!

I'm a habitual "blog-hopper", checking out my favorite blogs throughout the day to see if anything new has been posted. By checking out blogs that others have recommended I've come across some environmentally concerned parenting blogs that have caught my interest. I only have a few that I check out on a regular basis and they have been very eye opening, to say the least.

On one such blog, the mother posted about her search for toxic-free baby bottles. In other words, she searched for bottles that don't leach Bisphenol A (aka BPA) into the fluids that are placed in them. Now, before you start to think I'm getting all "granola" on you I just want to say that I'm not. Unless if you consider that becoming more aware of the things we use and eat as "granola".

I did some research of my own and discovered some disturbing things about the plastics that we use, especially those with the chemical Bishphenol A in them, which basically involves all major brands that use plastic. That's a frightening thought. What's more frightening are the things that are starting to be related to the chemical used in most plastic products such as certain cancers, impaired immune function, early onset of puberty, diabetes, obesity, and hyperactivity. You can read the article where I found this information here http://www.ktvu.com/station/11126871/detail.html

When I read the list of baby bottles that contain the chemical BPA I was concerned. The list included all the major brands of baby bottles that most people are familiar with. The list included the bottles we used with our precious Violet when she was a wee one. Scary. Before you give up hope of having to use glass only baby bottles there is a healthy alternative out there. Plastic bottles that are made without the chemical BPA, wonderful news for those who are concerned about preserving the health of our children. Check out the Born Free baby bottle company http://www.newbornfree.com/pics/bornfree/index_bottles.htm

I wish we had known of this company when we had Violet! It upsets me that we were ignorant of the dangers using plastic. I can only hope that more parents become aware of this and seriously consider switching from the more commonly known baby bottle brands and look at Born Free. The more aware we are with products the healthier we and our children will be.

2 comments:

jenni said...

It's OK to be granola. :)

Web-OJ said...

I'm glad I read this post about the plastic bottles.