Sunday, February 17, 2008

Optimistic

February appears to be determined to be a crummy month for us no matter how hard we try to fight it. First there was the stomach bug that Violet had, twice no less, so technically that's one and two. Third, Gregg came down with the stomach virus. Fourth, I've been having cyst pain. And finally, fifth, I came down with a nasty cold that has bitten me hard right on the tush! My body aches and my sinuses are out of whack.

I called my doctor's office and spoke with his nurse regarding the cold. I was worried that it would affect my having surgery on Tuesday. Come to find out, I had good cause to be concerned. If I'm not feeling a great deal better by Monday then they're going to want to reschedule the surgery. I don't actually want to have surgery but know that I need it and I just want to get it over and done with. I don't want to drag things out any longer.

Frustration is setting in and I've been trying my best not to let it bring my spirits down. The last thing I need right now is to get a bad case of the grumpys in all of this. I'm already difficult to live with right now and can only imagine how long it would take before my family strangled me if I developed a bad attitude. It's during this time that I have to remind myself that there is a reason, a purpose, for me to go through this, for my family to go through this. And even though there are times when it feels like it's too much to handle, I know that God wouldn't put us through more than He knows we're capable of dealing with.

I remind myself that people are praying for us while we are in the midst of these trials and am grateful for their interceding on our behalf. God has been good to us in all of this. We've found a good daycare that Violet enjoys and we feel safe with her being in. I have excellent medical care through an amazing doctor, who is a Christian by the way (always a plus). We have insurance that will cover most of our medical expenses once we meet our deductible. We have more things to be grateful for than things to grumble about and I have to remind myself of this, often.

It's easy, too easy actually, to lose perspective when things go awry in life. When we start to look at things through dark tinted lenses we can get lost in the negative things and forget to look for the positive. Maybe I'm too optimistic but it's that optimism, the thought of better things to come, that gets me through times like these. I'd rather see the glass as half full than half empty. Just as spring is around the corner so it is in my life and the lives of my family. A new day is coming and with it brings new possibilities and new hopes, new things to be grateful for.

No comments: