Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day 2008


I have always tried to be mindful of the holidays, especially the ones that honor your loved ones, but I invariably mess up and forget something. My greatest fault, getting cards out in the mail on time. Still, the sentiment is there and I can only hope that my family forgives my terrible memory. I've got two calendars in my house with every important date written on them and still manage to forget things. I don't know how this is possible but unfortunately it's been the way of life for me for years.

I would like to share a memory of the one Mother's Day that I KNOW I got right. I was sixteen and had been working at my first job at the town's local bank. I was proud of my new financial freedom and saved up my paychecks to buy my mom a necklace with a heart charm on it that read "#1 Mom". My card and gift to my Mom were strictly from me, her daughter, and I had no help in those purchases. The pride I felt that day was matched only by the pride my Mom felt when she opened her gift and every time she's worn the necklace since then. I think my Mom knew then, as she knows now, just how special she is to me.

This morning I woke up to Violet in my bed presenting me with a card and gift bag. She was so proud of herself because she wrote "Mommy" on the envelope and her name in the card, with the loving help of her Daddy of course. It's different, but I think I caught a glimpse of the pride my Mom must have seen on my face the day I gave her that necklace. My 101 Dalmatians card is a cherished item in my life and I have put it in my trusty old hat box with every other card I've received from my husband and daughter.

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms out there. May you feel as loved and as blessed as I do at this moment.

1 comment:

jenni said...

Aw, what a sweet Mother's Day for you.
:)