Sunday, May 11, 2008

Wee Hours


We've had some pretty rocky weather in our neck of the woods in the wee hours of the morning today, Mother's Day. Sometime around 4:00 am, a huge storm blew through with strong winds and massive thunder clouds. I happened to be up and so I enjoyed listening to all of the incredible sounds that came along with the storm. Well, that is until I heard alarms and the sounds of fire trucks blazing down our street. (I found the picture of the fire truck online since I wasn't able to get to my camera in time.)

I wasn't the only curious person who stuck their head out to see what all was going on. When I stepped out onto our patio I certainly didn't expect to see three fire trucks, two ambulances, and several police cars, lining up along the road in front of our apartments! Upon further inspection, I realized that they weren't pulling into our complex but the one directly across the street from us. The same apartment complex that has only been open since the first of the year. Thankfully, from our bird's eye view, there didn't appear to be a fire. Gregg and I are guessing that when we briefly lost power and it turned back on it must have set off an alarm in the complex. The same alarm that is still sounding off it's alert for danger nearly two hours later! And I wonder why I can't sleep.

Despite all the hoopla that's happened tonight, I feel at peace after seeing how quickly the fire department responded to these alarms. The Katy Fire Department was here, across the street actually, in a matter of minutes from when the alarms first sounded and the boom from whatever had settled (I'm guessing it was thunder or a transformer blew or something along those lines). Our apartment has built in sprinklers in case of a fire, something that is very reassuring to me, but it's good to know that the men and women who work at putting out fires will be here in a matter of minutes if we should ever need them.

No comments: