Sunday, June 22, 2008

Glass


While visiting my parents my Mom and I braved the art glass exhibit with Violet in tow. We wove our way through the exhibit faster than we would have liked but long enough to appreciate the beauty that was before us. Violet was getting antsy near the end and we had visions of the valuable glass being broken to bits at her hands. Some of the glass in the exhibit were by Tiffany and Dale Chihuly. I cannot begin to describe how beautiful some of the glass pieces were. If I could only use one word to describe the glass art it would be... breathtaking.


As much as I appreciate Tiffany glass my favorite pieces were by Chihuly. His works are incredibly thin and translucent. It's amazing what a person can do with heat and silica (sand, flint, or quartz). It amazes me that someone thought to put those elements together and created glass in the first place! And that someone looked at those elements and thought, "Hey, I can create art with these!" just astounds me.

No comments: