Thursday, March 22, 2012

Sleepless Nights

Insomnia seems to have struck again. Only this time it has struck Violet. My baby girl has the same issues with sleep that I have. From some of the research I've read, sleep issues are inherited. There are a few things about myself that I wouldn't have minded passing down to Violet, although I can't think of a single one right now, but insomnia is certainly not one of them!

Violet has never really been a good sleeper. A great deal of that is mine and Gregg's fault. Violet got really sick just before her first birthday and we fell into the terrible habit of her sleeping on our chest. The poor thing couldn't breathe well and, as we all know, you can't sleep when you can't breathe. Because nothing would keep Violet elevated enough to be able to breathe at night, Gregg and I would take turns on who slept with her in an old pink recliner. That led to her sleeping in our bed, something we did for a few years. Gregg and I really screwed up Violet's sleep patterns in an effort to get some sleep of our own. We are all now reaping the seeds that we sowed back then.

Violet has finally learned how to sleep in her own bed. And, she's gotten to where she can go to sleep on her own, thanks in part to her great desire for a sleep-over. But it's still difficult at times for her to settle into sleep and to stay asleep. We're making progress, but like all habits, the worst ones are the hardest to break. And it appears that tonight is going to be another sleepless night.

No comments: