Wednesday, April 11, 2012

My Heart Belongs In Texas


This should come as no surprise but I have to just come out and say it....
I LOVE TEXAS!!! I may not like the area of Texas that we live in but I love this great state, and my heart belongs here. Depending on where you're at, we have a little bit of everything - coastal living, prairies, woods, and so forth. And spring is one of my favorite seasons here. The wildflowers are blooming right now and the fields look like watercolor paintings.

We are at the tail end of what is called "Bluebonnet Season". The bluebonnet is our great state's flower and the two go hand in hand. The historian Jack Maguire once said, "The bluebonnet is to Texas what the shamrock is to Ireland..." And no truer words have been said about the two. There are websites and festivals dedicated just for the bluebonnet. People travel from all over just to catch a glimpse of our famous state flower. And if you're lucky enough to find a nice patch, that's not on someone's private property, you pull over and take as many photos as you can.


My little family and I are planning on driving around on Saturday to look for bluebonnets. We may even catch part of a festival if we have time. As we are nearing the ending of bluebonnet season we may not find the ideal patch but that's okay. We will be out as a family, enjoying our time together, and that's all that really matters. Well, that and pride of our great state!

My photos here aren't the best. If you're interested in a better idea of how beautiful our state is during the bluebonnet season then go look at this video. The video is long but the scenes are beautiful!

2 comments:

urban muser said...

those flowers are gorgeous! you are so lucky to be surrounded by them.

Kimberly said...

Thanks Urban Muser! Yes, we are very lucky.